For Immediate Release
December 22, 2023
Football Ontario Announces Inaugural Football Ontario Hall of Fame Class
Football Ontario Announces 15 Inductees to the Football Ontario Hall of Fame, Opens Nominations for 2024 as well as 2023 Awards
Hamilton, Ontario – Football Ontario is proud to announce the much-anticipated inaugural class of inductees into the Football Ontario Hall of Fame. This historic moment marks the recognition of exceptional players, coaches, and builders who have made significant contributions to the sport across the province.
The inaugural class of inductees is made up of 15 individuals split into three different categories; players, coaches, and builders.
- Player Category – individuals that have demonstrated extraordinary skills with their performance in the game of football
- Coach Category – individuals that have demonstrated extraordinary skills with their performance coaching the game of football
- Builder Category – category will general managers, secretaries, treasurers, field officials, league office and other team administration positions
Please see below the full inaugural class of inductees:
Football Ontario extends its heartfelt congratulations to these exceptional individuals who have left an incredible mark on the sport of football in Ontario. The induction ceremony for the Class for 2023 will take place in 2023, please stay tuned to our networks for more information on the logistics of this event.
“It is our honour to be able to help recognize the achievements of all of the Hall of Fame inductees and to ensure the history of our game in Ontario is enshrined for those that have impacted it. With the introduction of our new annual awards recognition program along with our 2024 Hall of Fame nomination we are excited to highlight the amazing accomplishments of individuals across the province who are positively impacting the athletes and our game.” says Aaron Geisler, Executive Director Football Ontario.
The organization is also excited to announce that they are now accepting nominations for the 2024 Hall of Fame Class, which will be limited to eight inductees, as well as opened up nominations for a variety of 2023 Awards. Please see the list of awards available for nominations below:
- Life Membership Award – Awarded to an individual who have been associated with Football Ontario or one of its members, and who has rendered special services to the game in Ontario to an extent beyond normal participation
- President’s Award – Awarded to an individual or organization recognized as tremendous contributors to Football Ontario
- Community Club Recognition Award – Awarded to an organization that has contributed in innovative ways to the game of football within the province
- Community Coach of the Year Award – Awarded to a coach that has devoted tremendous time and energy to improve players, the playing experience and/or has made significant contributions to the development of coaching in Ontario
- Officials Award – Awarded to an official that plays an integral part in the sport across the province and/or has made significant contributions to the development of officials in Ontario
- Community Volunteer of the Year Award – Awarded to an administrative member recognizing their positive contributions to their club
- Future Leaders Award – Awarded to a recognized youth who has made an outstanding impact on the local football community as a leader, player, coach, official, or administrator
Nominations are open immediately, the organization will stop accepting nominations on January 15, 2024 for both the 2024 Hall of Fame and 2023 Award!
All elections shall be voted on by the ‘Selection Committee’. To be granted consideration of induction into the Hall of Fame a nominee must receive 75% of the vote. If the nominee receives less than 33% of the vote they shall not be considered for any further voting.
A second ballot containing all those that received 75% of the vote shall then be ranked by each member of the Selection Committee based on their preference for induction.
There is certain criteria and eligibility in which the Selection Committee will evaluate all of the nominees.
- A player must have shown extensive involvement in and shown outstanding and extraordinary success. The qualities of character (off-field), playing ability, the players contribution to his/her team’s success, contribution to the game of football
- Player must have been born in Ontario; however, that player is not limited to playing in Ontario
- Player must not have participated as a player within the three year period preceding the meeting of the Selection Committee
- Any person who has made an outstanding contribution to football other than as a player
- Builder must have been born in Ontario; however, that Builders career is not limited to Ontario
- All builder candidates are eligible for consideration; active coaches will NOT BE considered and must not have participated as a coach within the three year period preceding the meeting of the selection committee
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
ABOUT FOOTBALL ONTARIO: Football Ontario is the sanctioned provincial governing body for football in Ontario, through its focus on transparency, growth, alignment and excellence, is engaged in providing football opportunities for all of Ontario. Football Ontario is driven by a commitment to deliver football programming, opportunities and resources for its members and the provincial football stakeholders. Please visit: footballontario.net