For Immediate Release
September 27, 2022
Football Ontario Announces ‘Football Ontario Hall of Fame’
Football Ontario Opens Nomination Period for Inaugural 2022 Class of the Football Ontario Hall of Fame
Hamilton, Ontario – Football Ontario is thrilled to announce the inception of the ‘Football Ontario Hall of Fame’.
The organization is currently accepting nominations to be put forth for election as a part of the inaugural 2022 Hall of Fame Class.
“Our province has an amazing legacy of amateur football figures that have had legendary and impactful careers and we want to be able to celebrate them by enshrining them in history. Creating a provincial Hall of Fame will ensure we can celebrate our history and pave the way for our future. ” says Football Ontario’s Executive Director, Aaron Geisler
There shall be two categories in which a person may be elected as a member of the Football Ontario Hall of Fame.
- Player Category – individuals that have demonstrated extraordinary skills with their performance in the game of football
- Builder Category – category will include coaches, general managers, secretaries, treasurers, field officials, league office and other team administration positions
The Football Ontario Hall of Fame shall be for all streams of football, including flag, touch, and tackle players and builders.
Each year a maximum of two builders and a maximum of five players shall be elected into the Football Ontario Hall of Fame.
Nominations are open immediately, the organization will stop accepting nominations on October 23, 2022. The announcement of the inaugural 2022 Football Ontario Hall of Fame inductees will coincide with the 2022 Vanier Cup to be held in London the week of November 26, 2022.
All elections shall be voted on by the ‘Selection Committee’. To be granted consideration of induction into the Hall of Fame a nominee must receive 75% of the vote. If the nominee receives less than 33% of the vote they shall not be considered for any further voting.
A second ballot containing all those that received 75% of the vote shall then be ranked by each member of the Selection Committee based on their preference for induction.
There is certain criteria and eligibility in which the Selection Committee will evaluate all of the nominees.
- A player must have shown extensive involvement in and shown outstanding and extraordinary success. The qualities of character (off-field), playing ability, the players contribution to his/her team’s success, contribution to the game of football
- Player must have been born in Ontario; however, that player is not limited to playing in Ontario
- Player must not have participated as a player within the three year period preceding the meeting of the Selection Committee
- Any person who has made an outstanding contribution to football other than as a player
- Builder must have been born in Ontario; however, that Builders career is not limited to Ontario
- All builder candidates are eligible for consideration; active coaches will NOT BE considered and must not have participated as a coach within the three year period preceding the meeting of the selection committee
Football Ontario is thrilled to show recognition to the great football players and builders from across the province and all they have done to help shape and grow the game of football in Ontario.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
ABOUT FOOTBALL ONTARIO: Football Ontario is the sanctioned provincial governing body for football in Ontario, through its focus on transparency, growth, alignment and excellence, is engaged in providing football opportunities for all of Ontario. Football Ontario is driven by a commitment to deliver football programming, opportunities and resources for its members and the provincial football stakeholders. Please visit: footballontario.net